Alabama & Mississippi

Standard Gauge, 52 lb. rail

Headquarters: Vinegar Bend, AL

Officers (1915): N. E. Turner, President; H. S. Turner, Tres.;  A. R. Turner, Sec & Aud.; M. Lankford, Gen. Manager

Years of Operation: 1902-1922

Miles Operated: 1902-1915: 17.0 miles

                         1915-1922: 76 miles

Locomotives Owned: 7

Equipment

1914- 2 locomotives, 1 combine, 1 freight car, and 1 coach

Click Map for Larger Version

The Alabama & Mississippi Railroad was incorporated by the owners of the Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. on March 10, 1902, and leased the mainline of the Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. running southwest from Vinegar Bend, Alabama. This line was extended to Leakesville, Miss., county seat of Greene Co. later that year. On July 1, 1915, the A&M leased the Pascagoula, Moss Point & Northern Railroad running north from Pascagoula to Evanston, a distance of 42 miles. The gap between Leakesville and Evanston was completed just in time for the July 1916 hurricane. 

Beginning in 1916 the railroad operated at a loss and on September 7, 1920 filed a petition with the I. C. C. for abandonment of the complete line. In March 1921, before the case was heard, the U. S. District Court appointed R. V. Taylor as receiver for the railroad. On June 28, 1921, the entire line was ordered sold by the Federal Court. The northern portion from Vinegar Bend to Leakesville was leased to the Mississippi & Alabama Railroad in October 1922 and the southern portion from Pascagoula to Evanston was sold to the Mississippi Export Railroad on April 17, 1923. The central portion from Leakesville to Evanston was abandoned.

A&M's combine 200 awaiting delivery at Southern Iron & Equipment Co. in Atlanta.

A&M's depot in Leakesville still stands and is used as a feed store. This photo taken in 1996.

Roster by Gil Hoffman:

 

3              2-6-0                   B. & O. R.R.                                                                       58                    19x24                    

Purchased from Pascagoula, Moss Point & Northern #3, on 7-1-1915.

Formerly Baltimore & Ohio #

 

4              4-6-0                   Schenectady         1694                    1-1883                     55                    18x24                        88000

Purchased from Pascagoula, Moss Point & Northern #4, on 7-1-1915.

Built as Cheaspeake, Ohio & Southwestern #46; to Newport News & Mississippi Valley #558, in 1887; to Illinois Central #259, in 1896; to Dunnellon Phosphate Co., Dunnellon, FL, in 1-1903; to Standard & Hernando #5, Rockwell, FL, in 11-1903; to Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #65, Atlanta, GA; to Pascagoula Northern R.R. #4, Moss Point, MS, on 8-3-1909; to Pascagoula, Moss Point & Northern R.R. #4, Moss Point, MS, on 4-30-1912.

 

62            2-6-0                   Baldwin                  6401                    10-1882                   54                    18x24                        80000

Acquired from Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. #62, Vinegar Bend, AL.

Built as Mobile & Ohio #62; to Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. #62, Vinegar Bend, AL, in 1905.

Sold to Mississippi & Alabama R.R. #62, Leakesville, MS, in 1922.

Baldwin class 8-30 D 90

 

101          4-6-0                   Altoona                                                                                                     18x22                      84000

Purchased by Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. from Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #573, Atlanta, GA, on 3-26-1907. Cost $4,500.

Built as Pennsylvania R.R. #

 

103          2-6-0                   Baldwin                                                                              55                    18x24                   

Purchased from Camp & Hinton Co. #103, Lumberton, MS, in 1907.

New boiler in 1915.

 

124          4-6-0                   Rogers                   3685                    9-1886                     56                    18x24                      100300

Purchased from Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #313, Atlanta, GA, on 11-7-1916. Cost $4,000.

Built as Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis #24, renumb. #124 in 1915; to Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #313, on 8-15-1916.

 

132          4-6-0                   Rogers                   3873                    12-1887                   56                    18x24                      100300

Purchased from Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #319, Atlanta, GA, on 11-3-1916. Cost $4,000.

Built as Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis #32, renumb. #132 in 1915; to Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #319, on 8-15-1916.

 

Note:      The builders number of engine #132, as received by the A&M, was 3691, which corresponds ot NC&StL #127. Sometime during shopping by the NC&StL there was a boiler swap.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                          

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad.