Union Springs & Northern Railway (1901-1911)

Birmingham & Southeastern Railway (1911-?)

Standard Gauge 56 and 60-lb. rail

Headquarters: Tallassee, AL after 1911

Years of Operation: 1901-?

Predecessor Roads: Tallassee & Montgomery Ry

Successor Roads: none

Miles Operated: Union Springs, AL to Eclectic, AL, 46.894 miles

Locomotives Owned: 

Equipment

1903: Locomotives: 2. Cars: 2 passenger, 1 baggage, etc., 1 flat.

6/30/1914: Locomotives: 5. Cars: 4 passenger, 3 combination, 2 freight, 1 service.

6/30/1918: Locomotives: 4. Cars: 4 passenger, 3 flat, 2 camp.

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

HISTORY by Gil Hoffman:

The Union Springs & Northern Railway was incorporated in Alabama on March 8, 1901, and was controlled by W. M Blount. Authorized capital stock was $100,000. On April 26, 1911, the name was changed by charter amendment to Birmingham & Southeastern Railway. On June 24, 1912, the company purchased the property of the Tallassee & Montgomery Railway. The B&SE was controlled by W. M. Blount and F. J. Lisman.

 The Tallassee & Montgomery Railway was incorporated in Alabama on August 10, 1895, and was controlled through stock ownership by the Tallassee Falls Manufacturing Company

The line extended from Union Springs, AL in a northerly direction to Eclectic, AL, 46.894 miles. It connected with the Central of Georgia at Union Springs, the Seaboard Air Line at Fort Davis, and the Western Railway of Alabama at Milstead. The line from Union Springs to Fort Davis, 7.50 miles, was built by the Union Springs & Northern Railway and opened for operation in November 1901. From Fort Davis to Milstead, AL, 20.00 miles, was completed and in operation about June 1912, and from Tallassee to Eclectic, 14.42 miles, completed and in operation on June 15, 1913. The entire 41.92 miles of road between Union Springs and Eclectic was built under contract by W. N. Blount. The section between Tallassee and Montgomery, 6.28 miles, acquired from the Tallassee & Montgomery Railway on June 24, 1912, was constructed between September 1895 and March 1896. 

The railroad traversed gently rolling country. The line contained 95 timber trestles and one metal bridge over the Tallapoosa River, consisting of two 150-foot through-truss spans on three granite piers. Nearly 75 percent of the rail was new 60-lb. rail. The remained was 60 and 56-lb. relay rail.


REFERENCE

 

1. “Birmingham & Southeastern Railway Company,” Valuation Docket No. 670, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 135, p. 34-65.

 

B&SE No. 200 was bought from Alco in 1926.

Birmingham & Southeastern No. 61 was bought new in 1913.

B&SE No. 200 at Tallassee on April 29, 1961.

 

B&SE No. 227 at Tallassee, AL shops on September 14, 1939.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:

 

 

Road No.

 

Type

 

Builder

 

C.N.

 

Date

 

Cyls.

 

Dri. Dia.

 

Engine

Wt.

 

Previous Ownership

 

Disposition

 

?

 

No Data

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unknown.

Union Springs & Northern #?, in 1901.

 

Birmingham & Southeastern #?,

on 4/26/1911.

Dropped by 6/30/1918.

 

29

 

4-6-0

 

Rogers

 

4320

 

6/1890

 

18x24

 

54

 

102000

 

Atlanta & West Point #29

Union Springs & Northern #29, in 1902.

 

Birmingham & Southeastern #29,

on 4/26/1911.

Scrapped 1934.

 

61

 

4-6-0

 

Baldwin

 

39485

 

3/1913

 

17x24

 

60

 

108000

 

New. Cost $10,452.

Baldwin class 10-28 D 137

 

Scrapped 1937.

 

63

 

4-6-0

 

Baldwin

 

40310

 

8/1913

 

17x24

 

60

 

108000

 

New. Cost $10,452.

Baldwin class 10-28 D 138

 

Scrapped 1939.

 

100

 

4-4-0

 

Baldwin

 

14551

 

11/1895

 

14x22

 

56

 

60000

 

Tallassee & Montgomery Ry. #1 Anna Roman, Tallassee, AL

Birmingham & Southeastern #100, on 6/24/1912.

Baldwin class 8-22 C 114

 

Out of service & derelict by 1933.

Scrapped 1940.

 

200

 

2-8-0

 

A/Cooke

 

65188

 

1923

 

19x26

 

48

 

141000

 

Stock engine built for export to Cuba. Shipped to Birmingham & Southeastern #200, on 3/5/1926.

 

Retired 1953.

Stephen P. Bogan, Hartford, CT, in 1963.

Valley R.R. #97, Essex, CT, in 1969.

 

227

 

2-6-0

 

Rogers

 

5901

 

3/1903

 

21x28

 

61

 

180800

 

Atlanta & West Point R.R. #24.

Built as 4-6-0.

Re. #227 in 1907.

Birmingham & Southeastern #227,

in 1923. Converted to 2-6-0.

 

Wrecked and scrapped, 4/1953.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net