Louisell Lumber Co. (1909-1912)
Cybur Lumber Co. (1912-1922)
Cybur, Gulf & Northwestern Railroad (1914-1918)
Standard Gauge, 56-lb rail
Headquarters: Cybur, MS (Pearl River County)
Mill Capacity: 50,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1912-1922
Miles Operated: 20
Locomotives Owned: 6
Click Map for Larger Version
History by Gil Hoffman:
Louisell Lumber Co.
Louisell Lumber Company was incorporated on December 7, 1909 at Mobile,
Alabama, by William H. Louisell, Cyril Louisell, Williams Van Heuvel and T.
M. Stevens, with authorized capital stock of $16,000. On November 8, 1909
the company bought the physical property of the Flat Creek Mill Company, at
Finchburg, Alabama, owned by William Louisell, president of the Louisell
Lumber Company. This plant was moved to a point eight miles northwest of
Richardson, Mississippi, at what later became Cybur. Rebuilding began in
January 1910 and was completed in August of the same year.
On June 29, 1911 the entire plant, including railroad and equipment, was leased to the A. G. Little Lumber Company, whose mill near Richardson had burned. The Louisell Lumber Company went into receivership in early 1912 and was succeeded by the Cybur Lumber Company on April 8, 1912.
Cybur Lumber Company, of Alabama, bought the holdings of the bankrupt
Louisell Lumber Company in Pearl River County on April 8, 1912. Company
officers were C. W. Zimmerman, of Mobile, AL, president; Cyril Louisell, of
Cybur, MS, vice president, and C. J. Coppock, of Cybur, secretary and
treasurer. The company also controlled the Cybur, Gulf & Northwestern
September 20, 1922, the sawmill at Cybur, about 20 miles of logging
railroad, rolling stock and timber holdings were sold to L. O. Crosby and
Lamont Rowlands, of Picayune, for about $1,000,000. The Cybur mill had been
converted to cutting hardwoods and at the time of the sale had been shut
down for about a year. Crosby and Rowlands reorganized the property as the
Crorow Hardwood Company.
Gulf & Northwestern Railroad
Cybur, Gulf & Northwestern Railroad was incorporated in Mississippi on
September 23, 1914, with $75,000 in capital stock, nearly all of which was
owned by members of the Cybur Lumber Company. The line of railroad from
Cybur to Picayune was bought from the Cybur Lumber Company for about
$65,000. The first regularly scheduled train ran on October 10, 1914. Both
passenger and freight service were operated. Officers were the same as the
lumber company. Cyril Louisell served as general manager.
January 29, 1918, the railroad, engine No. 231, a freight car and a
passenger coach were sold to L. O. Crosby and Lamont Rowlands. A portion of
the line was taken over by the Pearl River Valley Railroad.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org or David S. Price at email@example.com