Gainesville & Mississippi Railroad (1852-1854)

Mississippi Gainesville & Tuscaloosa Railroad (1854-1870)

5' Gauge

Headquarters: unk

Years of Operation: 1852-1870

Predecessor road: none

Successor road: Mobile & Ohio 

Miles Operated: 22

Locomotives Owned: 1



Click Map for Larger Version

History by Tony Howe:

The Gainesville & Mississippi Railroad was incorporated in February 10, 1852, to build from the river town of Gainesville, Alabama to the nearest connection with the Mobile & Ohio Railroad in Mississippi, which happened to be Narkeeta, in Kemper County.  On February 14, 1854, the charter was amended to change the name of the railroad to Mississippi, Gainesville & Tuscaloosa Railroad. On October 20, 1870, the railroad was sold to the Mobile & Ohio, who abandoned the branch on April 14, 1879. A group of local businessmen in Gainesville relaid a wood rail tram road on the grade, but it was not successful and it too was abandoned.




















                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS



For more information contact Tony Howe at or David S. Price at

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad.