Georgia Pacific Railway

36" Gauge, converted to standard gauge

Headquarters: Birmingham, AL

Years of Operation: 1881-1894

Predecessor road: Greenville Columbus & Birmingham

Successor road: Southern Railway in Mississippi 

Miles Operated: 458 mile main line + 24 mile Percy Branch

Locomotives Owned

Equipment: 

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Tony Howe:

The Georgia Pacific Railway was formed in 1881 to build a railroad from Atlanta, GA through Birmingham and Columbus, MS to Greenville, MS and eventually on to Texarkana. From the beginning it was under the control of Southern Railway predecessors East Tennessee Virginia & Georgia and Richmond & Danville. Georgia Pacific bought the 36" gauge railroad of the Greenville Columbus & Birmingham RR in October 1881 and converted it to standard gauge a few years later and completed the line between Columbus and Greenville on June 18, 1889, completing the railroad from Atlanta to Greenville. As the Richmond & Danville was being reorganized in 1894, they formed a new company called Southern Railway in Mississippi to take over the former Georgia Pacific trackage in Mississippi on August 30, 1894.

For additional info see:

"Delta Route" by Louis Saillard published by Columbus & Greenville RR 1981

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net