Standard gauge, 35-lb rail
Mill Location: Crottstown, MS (Jones County)
Mill Capacity: 40,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1909-1913
Miles Operated: 5
Locomotives Owned: 1 known
2 log cars
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
On January 8, 1909, F. H. Sheppard purchased 620 acres of timber from J.
N. Melton for $4,845. This timber was about four miles west of Tuckers
Crossing. Sheppard then built a sawmill of 40,000 feet daily cutting
capacity on the Mobile, Jackson & Kansas City Railroad at Crottstown and
a logging railroad to reach his timber. The sawmill was operated under the
name "Graham Lumber Company," with F. M. Sheppard as sole owner.
The Jones County Lumber Company was incorporated at Crottstown, Jones
County, on February 28, 1910, by George S. Leatherbury, Jr., of Mobile,
Alabama; J. B. Cantrell, of Crottstown and F. M. Sheppard, also of
Crottstown, with authorized capital stock of $50,000. Leatherbury was
president and treasurer, Thomas White, of Mobile, Alabama, was secretary and
J. B. Cantrell was manager. On March 5, 1910, the company acquired the
sawmill, logging railroad and timber holdings of the Graham Lumber Company
from F. H. Sheppard in return for shares of stock in the Jones County Lumber
Company transferred to Sheppard.
The mill cut out in the summer of 1913 and closed.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
Purchased from Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co., Birmingham, AL, on
4-3-09. Code name "Watson." To Jones County Lumber Co., on