Standard gauge, -lb rail
Headquarters: St. Louis, MO
Mill Location: Mendenhall, MS (Simpson County)
Mill Capacity: 40,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1917-1925
Miles Operated: 9 miles
Locomotives Owned: 2 known
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
Gulledge Lumber Company was incorporated in Missouri and operated a sawmill
at White, AR, from 1905 until 1916, when that mill cut out. Officers of the
company were: R. E. Gulledge, of White, AR, president; A. H. Henderson, of
Ruston, LA, vice president, and J. A. Myers, of St. Louis, MO, secretary and
October 1916 R. E. Gulledge purchased from Eastman, Gardiner & Company a
tract of timber lying south of the Strong River near Mendenhall, MS. At
Mendenhall he built a band mill with a daily cutting capacity of 40,000
feet, which was placed in operation in March 1917. R. E. Gulledge was
general manager of this plant.
mill at Mendenhall cut out on April 1, 1925, after which the company moved
to a new operation at Haines City, Fla., where it operated a mill with a
cutting capacity of 75,000 feet per day. Another mill was operated at
July 27, 1925 the plant at Mendenhall, and logging railroad, were sold to
the W. C. Wood Lumber Company, of Collins, MS.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
Purchased from Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1092,
Atlanta, GA, on 1-5-17. Cost $4,600.
Built as Georgetown & Western #9, Lanes, S. C., renumb.
#108; to Seaboard Air Line #954, in 1915; to Southern Iron
& Equipment Co. #1092, on 10-30-16.
Probably sold to W. C. Wood Lumber Co., Mendenhall, MS, on
Baldwin class 10-26 E 302
2T Heisler Heisler
Sold to W. C. Wood Lumber Co. #2, Mendenhall, MS, on 7-27-25.