Handsboro Lumber Co.

36" gauge, -lb rail

Headquarters: Moss Point

Mill Location: Handsboro, MS (Harrison County)

Mill Capacity: 150,000 ft/day in 1910

Years of Operation: 1906-?

Miles Operated: 20 miles in 1910

Locomotives Owned: ?

Also see: L. N. Dantzler Lumber Co.

Henry Lienhard

Cedar Lake Mill Co.

Equipment:

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman and Tony Howe:

On August 30, 1906, the L. N. Dantzler Lumber Company bought the holdings of Henry Lienhard, at Handsboro, Harrison County, from Lienhard's widow and daughter. The Handsboro Lumber Company, which operated the property, was incorporated at Moss Point, Jackson County, on February 22, 1906 by J. L. Dantzler, L. N. Dantzler, Jr., B. G. Dantzler, L. N. Dantzler and A. F. Dantzler with authorized capital stock of $100,000. In the charter the seat of operations was given as Handsboro. The sawmill, as of 1910, had a cutting capacity of 40,000 feet per day. It is not known how long the mill at Handsboro was operated. In 1919 a new mill was built at Cedar Lake, the terminus of the Handsboro Lbr. railroad. The railroad and equipment was transferred to the Cedar Lake Mill Co. at this time.

An incredibly rare view of Handsboro Lumber Co. Porter 0-6-2T crossing the Tuxachanie Creek bridge about 1910. 

Handsboro Lumber Co.'s 2-6-0 at the dealer in Atlanta before delivery to Cedar Lake in 1908.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:

1              0-6-0T                 Baldwin                  4205                    12-1877                   33                    10x16               

Purchased from H. Lienhard #1, Handsboro, MS, on 8-30-1906.

Built as Milton & Sutherlin Narrow Gauge R.R. “Little Jannie,” Milton, NC; to Richmond & Danville #74, in 1882; to Bryant & Brother, Stony Creek, VA; to Newell & Bryant, Stoney Creek, VA; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #236, Atlanta, GA; to H. Lienhard #1, Handsboro, MS, on 1-21-1904.

Baldwin class 6-14 D 7

 

2              0-6-2T                 Porter                     1535                    3-1894                                             6x14                       

Purchased from H. Lienhard #2, Handsboro, MS, on 8-30-1906.

 

3              2-6-0                   Baldwin                  4836                    10-1879                   36                    12x16                      39000

Purchased from Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #557, Atlanta, GA, on 8-11-1908. Cost $2,800.

Built as Hobart & Manistee River “Chas. J. Canfield,” Hobart, MI, later became #2; to Chittenden, Herrick & Co., Cadillac, MI; to J. E. Loxley, Loxley, AL, by 12-1892; to Hubbard Brothers, Mobile, AL; to Hiwannee Lumber Co., Hiwannee, MS, on 8-11-1904; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #557.

Baldwin class 8-18 D 45

Note: L. N. Dantzler reportedly bought 4 locomotives after purchasing the Lienhard property in 1906 for use at Cedar Lake.

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net