Jackson & Eastern Railway
Headquarters: Meridian (Lauderdale County)
Years of Operation: 1916-1926
Predecessor road: none
Successor road: Gulf Mobile & Northern
Miles Operated: 28
Locomotives Owned: 5
5 locomotives, 8 freight cars, 4 passenger cars in 1926
Click Map for Larger Version
History by Gil Hoffman:
Jackson & Eastern Railway was incorporated in Mississippi on January
24, 1916, for the purpose of constructing and operating a railroad from
Union to Jackson, Mississippi, about 72 miles. The date of organization
was January 26, 1916.
began at Union, where the line connected with the Meridian & Memphis,
and was completed as far as Sebastopol, Mississippi, 13.513 miles, when
the road opened for operation in November 1916. This portion of the line
was built by Sam A. Neville, then president and general manager of the
road. Authorized capital stock was $100,000 of which $99,700 was issued to
S. A. Neville in part payment for construction of the railroad.
On July 12, 1921 the Interstate Commerce Commission authorized an extension of the line from Sebastopol to Jackson, approximately 61 miles. The extension was completed as far as Walnut Grove, 9 miles, in 1923, and from Walnut Grove to Tuscola, 5 miles, in April 1925. The extension from Sebastopol to Tuscola cost about $13,500 per mile.
July 1926 the entire capital stock of the company was acquired by the Gulf,
Mobile & Northern Railroad. Effective July 1, 1927 the property was
operated under lease by the G. M. & N. The line to Jackson was finally
completed on July 17, 1927, and in July 1929, the company was merged into
the G. M. & N. During independent ownership the general office was at
1926 the railroad owned 5 locomotives, 8 freight cars and 4 passenger cars.
With the sale to the G. M. & N., the locomotives were transferred to the
Meridian & Bigbee River Railway, another Neville property, for
construction of that line. Between 1926 and 1929 locomotives used on the J.
& E. were presumably furnished by the G. M. & N.
“Jackson & Eastern Railway Company,” Valuation Docket No.
453, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 193, p. 539-46.
“Public Convenience Certificate to Jackson & Eastern Ry.,”
Finance Docket No. 9, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol.
99, pp. 361-365. See also: Vol. 70, p. 110; Vol. 76, p. 359 and Vol. 86, p.
3. “Control of Jackson & Eastern by Gulf, Mobile & Northern,” Finance Docket No. 5623, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 111, pp. 587-592.
For more information:
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org or David S. Price at email@example.com