Meridian, Brookhaven & Natchez Railroad

Standard Gauge

Headquarters: Brookhaven, MS (Lincoln Co.)

Years of Operation: 1882-1940

Predecessor Roads: Hamilton, Hoskins & Co.

Successor Roads: Illinois Central

Miles Operated: 8

Locomotives Owned: 

Equipment:

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Tony Howe:

The Meridian Brookhaven & Natchez Railroad was incorporated on March 7, 1882 and took over a line running east from Pin Oak Jct., about 2 miles north of Brookhaven, that was built by Hamilton, Hoskins & Co. in 1880. In return for partial funding, the railroad built by Hoskins was partly owned by Illinois Central predecessor Chicago, St. Louis & New Orleans. Initially, primary traffic on the MB&N was finished lumber from several sawmills owned by Hamilton & Hoskins along the line. The Illinois Central bought the MB&N at foreclosure sale on March 12, 1888. IC formed a new company called Meridian Brookhaven & Natchez Railroad to operate the branch on January 18, 1891. IC used the MB&N to access large deposits of gravel at the end of the MB&N and operated the branch until it was abandoned on January 16, 1940. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad. 

2009 Mississippi Rails