Mobile, Jackson & Kansas City  

Standard Gauge

Headquarters: Mobile, AL

Years of Operation: 1890-1903

Predecessor RoadsKingston & Central Mississippi

                                   Gulf & Chicago

Successor Roads: New Orleans, Mobile & Chicago

Miles Operated: 

Route: Middleton, TN to Mobile, AL 

Locomotives Owned: 

 

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

The Mobile, Jackson & Kansas City Railroad was incorporated in 1890 and built a line from Mobile to the Pascagoula River at Merrill, MS by 1898. The line was extended from Merrill to Hattiesburg in 1902 before the company decided to build north from Beaumont, MS toward Jackson, TN in 1903. The MJ&KC bought the 36" gauge Kingston & Central Mississippi on June 30, 1902, and converted to to standard gauge. The MJ&KC leased the Gulf & Chicago on July 1, 1903, and completed the gap to join the two in 1906. On December 1, 1909, the Gulf & Chicago and MJ&KC were officially merged to form the New Orleans, Mobile & Chicago Railroad. 

 

For more information:

http://www.acmeme.org/gmo/

Builder's view of MJ&KC 77.

MJ&KC 32 builder's photo.

 

MJ&KC depot at Montrose, MS. Tallahatta Lumber Co.'s commissary appears on the left.

MJ&KC 25 and crew.

MJ&KC 30

Another view of the Montrose depot looking west across the tracks. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad. 

2009 Mississippi Rails