Headquarters: Bruce, MS (Calhoun County)
Years of Operation: 1925-present
Mill Capacity: ?0,000 ft/day
Miles Operated: 21.726
Locomotives Owned: Steam- 2 Diesel- 2?
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
Mississippi & Schoona Valley Railroad Company was incorporated on June
1, 1925, under the laws of Mississippi, to construct a railroad from a
connection with the Illinois Central Railroad at Bryant, Miss., in a general
northeasterly direction along the Schoona River to a point in Calhoun County
to be known as Bruce, Miss., a distance of approximately 22 miles. It was
organized June 2, 1925. The name was changed to "Mississippi &
Skuna Valley Railroad Company" on April 29, 1926, by charter amendment.
Authorized capital stock was $200,000, all of which was issued on October 1,
line was built mainly to serve the hardwood band mill of the E. L. Bruce
Company, its owners, at Bruce, Miss. Original officers of the railroad were:
R. G. Bruce, president; C. Arthur Bruce, 1st vice president; E. L. Bruce,
Jr., 2nd vice president; Frank Bruce, secretary, and George McSweyn,
began in May 1925, with the railroad being completed and placed in operation
on September 1, 1926. Construction work was performed partly by the E. L.
Bruce Company, which controlled the railroad company until June 1928, and
partly by other contractors as well as the company's own forces. The main
line was laid with 70 and 75-lb. relay rail leased from the Illinois Central
Railroad. The E. L. Bruce Company had trackage rights over almost the entire
line for operation of its log trains.
country traversed was generally level and in places, swampy. The region was
originally heavily timbered, but was gradually logged off. About 17 miles of
the line was full earth surfaced and the remainder, ballasted with cinders.
December 31, 1928 the railroad owned 1 steam locomotive, 3 box cars, 5 flat
cars, and 1 gasoline passenger motor car. The motor car was named
"Bruce" and had a Reo chassis with a railroad motor coach body.
The lumber company was bought by Weyerhaeuser and the mill modernized over
the years. It is still in operation as of June 2009.
M&SV 3 at Bruce Jct. on March 6, 1971.
Track view along the M&SV on March 6, 1971.
Mississippi & Skuna Valley D-4 at Bruce, probably circa 1985.