36" Gauge, lb. rail
Headquarters: Glendale, MS (Coahoma County)
Years of Operation: 1870-1889
Predecessor road: none
Successor road: LNO&T
Miles Operated: 31
Locomotives Owned: 4
2 locomotives and 16 cars in 1887
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
Mobile & North Western Railroad was chartered July 20, 1870. The line
was projected from Glendale, Mississippi, to Jackson, Mississippi, 169
miles. In 1877 the road was opened for 8 miles and finally, in 1879, from
Glendale to Clarksdale, Mississippi, 31 miles.
of the railroad were: Thomas T. A. Lyon, of Glendale, president; George
Vidner, of Mobile, Alabama, treasurer, and John S. McKay, of Glendale,
was made on bond interest, foreclosure proceedings were begun and a
receiver appointed in December 1886. The receiver, Ben Wilson, of Memphis,
TN, under direction of the court, began surveys early in 1887 for an
extension of the line to Yazoo City. In 1887 the railroad owned 2
locomotives and 16 cars.
In October 1889, the assets were sold to the
Louisville, New Orleans, & Texas Railroad.