Natchez, Jackson & Columbus Railroad

42" Gauge, 35-lb rail

Headquarters: Natchez, MS (Adams County)

Years of Operation: 1873-1890

Predecessor road: none 

Successor road: LNO&T 

Miles Operated: 100

Locomotives Owned: 5

Equipment

1889- 6 locomotives, 4 passenger, 2 combines, 39 box, 3 stock, 27 flats, 4 coal, 2 cabooses, 1 boarding car, 1 pile driver

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman and Tony Howe:

The Natchez, Jackson & Columbus Railroad was chartered on July 21, 1870, and opened in January 1879 from Natchez to Martins, Mississippi, 43 miles. It was completed to Jackson on Sept 14, 1882. Officers of the road were: W. T. Martin, of Natchez, president; J. H. Fitzpatrick, of Natchez, secretary, and G. W. Koontz, of Natchez, treasurer. It was nicknamed The Little J" to distinguish it from the NOJ&GN, then nicknamed the "Big J." On March 28, 1890 the NJ&C was sold to the Louisville, New Orleans & Texas Railroad, who converted the line to standard gauge. It operated as a branch of the Y&MV, and later Illinois Central, until the line was abandoned by ICG in 1979 and 1981.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                          

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS

Hit Counter

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad.