Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railway
Headquarters: Houston, MS (Chickasaw County)
Years of Operation: 1933-1939
Predecessor road: Mobile & Ohio
Successor road: none
Miles Operated: 37.34
Locomotives Owned: 2
Click Map for Larger Version
History by Gil Hoffman:
Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railway was incorporated in
Mississippi on April 17, 1933, by W. N. Ethridge, of West Point; T. A.
Rhodes, of West Point, and Eugene B. Ethridge, of Meridian, with $5,000 in
capital stock. Officers of the company were: W. N. Ethridge, president and
T. A. Rhodes, vice president, secretary and treasurer. On May 15, 1933,
for $30,000 the company purchased from the Southern Railway the branch
line of the Mobile & Ohio running from Okolona through Houston to
Calhoun City, Mississippi, 37.34 miles. Motive power and rolling stock
were purchased on May 16, 1933 from the receiver of the Mobile & Ohio,
consisting of one locomotive, one combination passenger-baggage car and
eight freight cars.
1934 a gasoline powered railbus was put into service to carry passengers.
This railbus was rebuilt from an old Greyhound bus at the Jackson,
Tennessee Shops of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad.
1933 the schedule showed a daily, except Sunday, round trip between
Okolona and Calhoun City. In March 1938, because of decline in business,
the railroad reduced service to two round trips per day by its passenger
railbus and one round trip three times a week by a mixed steam train. Loss
of traffic was attributed to competition from highways.
October 27, 1938, the OH&CC applied to the Interstate Commerce
Commission for permission to abandon its entire line. On July 26, 1939 the
I. C. C. decided that if no prospective buyer for the line could be found
within 40 days, abandonment could proceed. No buyer was found, so the line
was abandoned. Operations did not cease until the fall of 1939. Track was
completely torn up by early in 1940, at which time No. 9, the remaining
locomotive, was sold. The company was officially dissolved on January 5,
“Okolona, Houston & Calhoun City Railway Company
Operation,” Finance Docket No. 9942, Interstate Commerce Commission
Reports, Vol. 193, p. 89-92.
For more information:
See David Bridges article on the OH&CC in Issue #___ of the GM&OHS News.
The former OH&CC depot at Calhoun City had been converted to a church by 1940.
OH&CC Number 9 at Okolona.
STEAM ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org or David S. Price at email@example.com
All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad.