Ripley Railroad (1871-1878)

Ship Island, Ripley & Kentucky Railroad (1878-1889)

36" Gauge

Headquarters: Ripley, MS (Tippah County)

Years of Operation: 1878-1889

Predecessor road: none

Successor road: Gulf & Chicago

Miles Operated: 25 (22.5 in MS)

Locomotives Owned: 2

Equipment

1879- 2 locomotives, 3 passenger cars, 10 box, 20 flats

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

The Ripley Railroad was chartered in Mississippi in 1871 with construction commencing in 1872. The road was opened from Ripley, Mississippi, to Middleton, Tennessee, 25 miles, in 1874. The name was changed to Ship Island, Ripley & Kentucky Railroad in 1878. The road went into receivership about 1880 and was sold at foreclosure to the Gulf & Chicago Railroad on August 1, 1889. 

REFERENCE 

1. Murdaugh, Herbert C., The Ripley Railroad, privately printed at Jackson, Tenn., 1968.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                          

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS

Hit Counter

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad.