West Feliciana Railroad

Standard Gauge

Headquarters: Woodville, MS

Years of Operation: 1831-1888

Predecessor Roads: none

Successor Roads: LNO&T 

Miles Operated:  27.5 (7.50 in MS)

Locomotives Owned: 

Equipment:

1879- 2 locomotives, 1 passenger car, 1 baggage, 3 box, 8 flats, 2 coal, 4 service cars

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Tony Howe

The West Feliciana Railroad was incorporated on March 25, 1831. The road opened from St. Francisville, Louisiana north using animal power. The first locomotive arrived in 1836. The line was opened for 11 miles to Turnbull's Plantation on March 21, 1840. The line was finally completed from Woodville to Bayou Sara on October 13, 1842. The road was sold at foreclosure on November 20, 1888, and bought by the Louisville, New Orleans & Texas on October 14, 1889, who built a line from Slaughter, La. to Bayou Sara to connect the branch to their mainline. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

Hit Counter

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad. 

2009 Mississippi Rails