Yazoo Delta Railway

Standard Gauge

Headquarters: Moorhead, MS

Years of Operation: 1895-1900

Predecessor Roads: Chester Pond

Successor Roads: Yazoo & Mississippi Valley 

Miles Operated:  20.5

Locomotives Owned: 

Equipment:

3 passenger cars and 36 freight cars in 1899

 

Click Map for Larger Version

The Yazoo Delta Railway was incorporated on April 27, 1895 and built 20.5 miles of railroad from Moorhead to Ruleville, which opened in August 1897. On June 13, 1900 the road was bought by the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley and extended from Ruleville to Tutwiler. The Yazoo Delta Railroad was commonly referred to as the "Yellow Dog" because of the road's initials- Y.D.

Y&MV map showing construction starting on the Yazoo Delta at Moorhead in 1895. North is towards the bottom. Accompanied the letter shown here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

Hit Counter

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at tonyhowe76@yahoo.com or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad. 

©2009 Mississippi Rails