Headquarters: Shubuta, MS (Clarke County)
Mill Capacity: 65,000 ft/day
Years of Operation (S&SW): 1905-1922
Miles Operated: 12.5
Locomotives Owned: 4
2 locomotives, 28 log cars, 1 boxcar in January 1909
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
the spring of 1905 F. H. Kaupp, of Talladega, Ala., purchased a large body
of timber around Eucutta, MS The Kaupp Lumber Company was incorporated at
Shubuta, Clarke County, on December 2, 1905 by F. H. Kaupp, of Clarke
County, H. A. Bond, of Clarke County, and Alfred Truman, of Brookville, PA,
with authorized capital stock of $100,000, which was
raised to $250,000 on Dec. 14, 1906. Construction of a sawmill at
Shubuta began in 1905. The Kaupp Lumber Company went into receivership on
May 4, 1908 and its assets were sold to the Hiwannee Lumber Company, of
Hiwannee, Wayne County, on April 19, 1909.
& Southwestern Railroad
The Shubuta & Southwestern Railroad was chartered
in Mississippi on May 20, 1905 by F. H. Kaupp, J. H. Griffin and D. W.
Heidelberg with capital stock of $25,000. The road ran from a connection
with the Mobile & Ohio Railroad at Shubuta westward to Eucutta, Wayne
County, 12½ miles. It was used primarily to haul logs to the mill of the
Kaupp Lumber Company at Shubuta, although some freight was also carried. In
1907 the president and general manager of the line was S. G. Blalock.
July 8, 1911 the Brownlee Lumber Company bought the sawmill plant at Shubuta
and timber holdings in Clarke and Wayne counties of the Hiwannee Lumber
Company for $24,062.50. The Shubuta & Southwestern Railroad was part of
this purchase. Brownlee had been operating a mill at Shubuta since
1905, supplied with logs by a 36" gauge railroad. The former Kaupp mill
and S&SW were operated in conjunction with the old Brownlee mill and
October 1920 the Shubuta operation cut out and the mill closed. The Shubuta
& Southwestern Railroad was finally abandoned in 1922.
Also see page on Brownlee Lumber Co. and
page on Hiwannee Lumber Co.