by Gil Hoffman:
1905 J. N. Brownlee established a sawmill at Shubuta, Clarke County, and
built a wood rail tram road to log his timber. The plant was operated as the
Brownlee Lumber Company. Brownlee also established the Brownlee Machine
Works, at Shubuta, which manufactured his patented sawmill engine.
on Aug. 21, 1907 by John N. Brownlee, W.C. Futvoye, and M.C. Paterson with
capital stock of $100,000 (Corporation record book 1, p.72)
July 8, 1911 the Brownlee Lumber Company bought the sawmill plant at Shubuta
and timber holdings in Clarke and Wayne counties of the Hiwannee Lumber
Company for $24,062.50. The Shubuta & Southwestern Railroad was part of
September 1912 a new circular sawmill was completed on the Mobile & Ohio
Railroad seven miles south of Shubuta. This mill had a cutting capacity of
25,000 feet per day and was operated as an adjunct of the Shubuta operation
under the name "Wayne Lumber Company."
In October 1920 the Shubuta operation cut out and the
mill closed. The Shubuta & Southwestern Railroad was finally abandoned
in 1922. Brownlee moved his operations to Medford, Ore. where he also built
a narrow gauge logging railroad.
see page on Shubuta & Southwestern.