Mt. Olive Lumber Co.
36" wood rail converted to standard gauge at Mt Olive
Standard gauge at Arbo
Headquarters: Indianapolis, IN
Mill Location: Mill No. 1- Sheppard Switch (1 mile S of Mt. Olive), MS (Covington County)
Mill No. 2- Arbo, MS (Covington County)
Mill Capacity: 25,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1902-1905
Locomotives Owned: 3 known
See also: J. L. Cooley & Co.
Click Map for Larger Version
History by Gil Hoffman:
Mount Olive Lumber Company was incorporated at Mount Olive, Covington
County, on May 10, 1902, by Frank H. Young, O. D. Haskett, F. A. Whitted,
John H. Stuart and R. A. Foote with authorized capital stock of $25,000.
Frank H. Young was president. The company owned three mills, all acquired
from other companies. The first of these mills was the plant of the Mount
Olive Planing Mill Company, at Mount Olive, purchased on May 24, 1902 from
F. H. Young who had bought it on April 9, 1902. The company also owned two
sawmills near Mount Olive. The first was purchased on December 10, 1902,
from J. L. Cooley & Company. This purchase included a logging railroad,
locomotive and timber. The second mill was bought on May 15, 1903, from the
Leeke Milling Company. A logging railroad and timber also came with this
mill, but no locomotives. To finance its ever increasing plant and timber
holdings, the capital stock of the company was increased successively on
August 13, 1902 to $40,000, on January 17, 1903 to $50,000, and finally, on
March 7, 1903, to $75,000.
With all of its mills heavily mortgaged, the company soon found itself in financial trouble. On November 16, 1904, the Federal Court at Jackson, MS, declared the company bankrupt and authorized sale of the remaining assets. The planing mill had already been sold to George D. Sisson, of Indianapolis, Ind., on April 8, 1904. The two sawmill plants, railroads and timber were sold to W. S. F. Tatum, of Hattiesburg, MS, on February 18, 1905. He in turn sold the Leeke mill plant and timber to the Lumber Mineral Company, of Maine, on May 10, 1905.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
from J. L. Cooley & Co., Mt. Olive, MS, on 12-10-02.
Built as Powell Lumber Co. #
, Pocahontas, TN; to Frank Eastman, Tampa, AL; to Tampa Lumber Co.,
Tampa, AL; to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co., Birmingham, AL; to J.
L. Cooley & Co., on 1-10-02.
Sold to S. A. Jones & Son, Columbia, MS, on
10-10-04; repossessed for non-payment and resold to: Bowie Lumber Co.,
Bowie, MS, on 2-14-06.
from E. P. Burton & Co., Charleston, SC.
Built as North Chicago Steel Co. "Busy Body,"
Chicago, IL; to E. P. Burton & Co., Charleston, SC.
Sold to Lindsey Wagon Co., Laurel, MS, by 1-1905.
4-11 C 52
from Lott & Perkins Lumber Co., Inda, MS, on 5-10-04. Cost $2,250.
Built as G. W. Wright & Co. # ; to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co., Birmingham, AL; to
Lott & Perkins, Inda, MS, on 11-20-99.
Sold to W. S. F. Tatum, Arbo, MS on 2-18-05; to
Lumber-Mineral Co. #3, Arbo, MS, on
to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1533, Atlanta, GA; to E. L. Hendrick
Lumber Co. #3, Jackson, MS, on 6-9-20; to Southern Iron & Equipment
Co. #1935; to G. W. Fennell, Williams, SC, on 4-29-24; to Southern Iron
& Equipment Co. #2174.
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at email@example.com or David S. Price at firstname.lastname@example.org